I should have said 308 length cartridge or 6.5 if you have one…. I was in a hurry when I posted it I guess…

The ramp in the bottom of the action (side cuts on the action) extend further back on longer rounds… so with shorter ones they can nose up too fast if they are back further… if the new mag well is set forward enough it’s not a problem… but if it’s all the way back it can be can an issue…

A while back I posted a picture of 2 Remy short actions one was a 223, the other a 308… and you could see the feed ramp cuts extend back further on the 308 than the 223, not to mention they are wider… so it’s just to see if the action has such a thing…
Guys trying to get a 223 to feed 308’s have issues, this would be the other way around.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Spotshooter,

Why test feeding with .308 rounds when he's asking about rebarreling to 6.5 Creedmoor?

These pics - again this is a short action with 223 on one side, and 308 other the other…. But you can see the ramps cut into the action.
** the mag wells I put on there are both 308 mag wells…. (The 223 has a spacer to move the round forward )

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Spotshooter; 08/03/22.