As a follow up to this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17254648/re-nm-oryx-tag#Post17254648

My daughter and I headed to NM on Sat and arrived on Sunday afternoon. We met the guide, Casey, and checked the rifle and went to bed early, restless and excited. Monday morning, we left the hotel before 5am and watched the sun rise over the desert, while glassing for Oryx. We rode and glassed and rode and glassed as the sun climbed and the temps soared towards 102°. Around 2pm, a few clouds rolled in and provided some relief from the boiling sun which must have gotten the oryx on their feet.

We spotted our first oryx, a nice bull, near the trail, but he quickly trotted out of range before my daughter could get the gun set up on the sticks and ready. As we eased down the trail, we had only gone 1/4 mile when we spotted 5 more oryx about 170 yards from the road. I scrambled to help her get the gun on the tripod, while Casey glassed and ranged and gave her instructions on which one to shoot. Once the gun was on the tripod, it was all on her to find the bull and make the shot while I watched with my heart beating through my chest. She was cool and calm (way less nervous then Casey or me) and after a few seconds the 7mm08 cracked and the oryx hunched up and disappeared into the thick brush. He only ran about 50 yards and we saw a cloud of dust rise over the scrub brush and we were hopeful that he was down but still nervous. We waited for a few mins and quietly walked up the shot location. When we saw the pink blood splattered all over the sand, I knew that he probably hadn’t gone far. It only took a few seconds to follow the 3’ wide blood trail to her trophy and the celebration began. 140 gr Accubond with a near perfect heart shot! An awesome hunt and memories that will last forever with my daughter.

Attached Images