Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by jwp475
I agree with gunwizard, on the forming of the carbon ring in the cylinder when using the shorter brass. I always try to use brass designed for the cylinder……whether it be my .357’s, 44 Mags, or my 460 S&W…..I enjoy shooting light loads in all of them, much more than cleaning carbon rings! 😉 memtb

Only of you never clean your chambers. This is a non issue if you occasionally cleand the cylinders.

I do clean……occasionally! However, carbon is rather difficult to remove……much easier if it’s never been put there! Why risk carbon, when simply using a case of proper length for the cylinder will avoid this potential issue! memtb

I've fired a lot of 45 Colt cartridges in 454 and I have found it to be a problem

I read about it here on the net but I g ind it is over blown and not a concern of mine

Happy for you!

I bought a very lightly used 460 XVR, which had very few rounds through it….the majority of those being .454 Casull’s.

I aggressively cleaned it after purchase, though didn’t use a bore-scope to examine….as I have never had a carbon issue prior! When working on an accuracy load, I found that one chamber consistently through a shot outside of the group. I measured throats and found some slight differences. The cylinder was sent to a very reputable gunsmith to address the throats. One of his comments upon his work completion was a bit of carbon that required some pretty aggressive cleaning with a 50 cal brush and solvent.

The first thing I did at the time of purchase, was to buy a bunch of 460 brass…..I gave the .454 brass to a friend. “ALL” of my shooting was with 460 brass! Summary: with minimal shooting with short brass, there was a carbon deposit!

Should I have been more alert/aggressive with my initial cleaning …..yes! I never suspected that with minimal use it would have carbon deposits! Could the 50+ thousand psi chamber pressures from the .454’s be the cause for the very hard to remove carbon deposits……perhaps - maybe even likely!

Personally, I think that it’s not worth saving a few bucks to shoot short brass in my revolvers! JMO. memtb

Cost has nothing to do with using 45 colt brass in my 454s. It identifies the difference in pressure loads for the revolvers that can't take 65,000 PSI loads.
I generally load 30,000 PSI in my 45 Cokt brass for use in 6 shot Rugers

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first