Originally Posted by gunswizard
Shooting .44 Special ammo in a revolver chambered for .44 Magnum will eventually result in a ring of fouling that will not allow chambering of Magnum ammo. Much the same as firing .22 Short ammo in a rifle chambered for .22 LR. I shoot .44 Special loads assembled in .44 Magnum brass, my reduced load consists of 7.5gr. of Unique and a lead 200gr. RNFP "cowboy bullet". A load that's accurate, easy on the shooter and the gun, it's been my go to load for more than 25yrs.. Try it, you'll like it.

The fouling ring is why I stopped using .44 Special brass in my S&W 329PD and started using .44 Magnum brass with 8.0 grains of Unique under a 240 grain SWC. The S&W 329PD is a great revolver to shoot with .44 Special level performance loads, but too much to handle for many people with full power .44 Magnum loads. I got my S&W 329PD back in 2005 for $540 from a guy who shot 10 rounds of full power .44 Magnum ammo in it and decided that it wasn't the right gun for him. I think that the S&W 329PD is a great .44 Special revolver and better looking than the 396-1 Mountain Lite that came out about the same time.