Originally Posted by iskra
I have a .22 Hornet M 70 prewar 20" barrel I got dirt cheap @ $30, as rechambered to .222 Rem. It bears the integral front sight ramp confirming its early rifle origins. Conjuring perhaps a rebore in chambering to taste as also compatible with donor action bolt face.

Unassociated caution: In scoping any of the earlier rifle w/receiver sight installed combos, beware a large potential problem. The stock necessarily "inlettied" to accommodate such installation; displaced by scope, resulting in unsightly stock scars... A matter to be reckoned with! That's why many instances, seeing such rifles with scopes, as yet retaining the base half of the receiver sight yet attached. Not a happy compromise but looking better than 'naked' scar!

On that note...
Best!
John

Nah. The simple expedient from 90 years ago until now is to leave the sight base in place and insert a slide blank into it when the slide is removed for scope clearance. Lyman used to sell them for a couple bucks and they turn up on eBay now and then but cost more than a couple bucks though. A late buddy made me a couple of them a few years ago, I wish he was around to make a couple more. Just don't lose the sight slide while you have it off!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/09/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty