Good stuff.šŸ˜‚

Originally Posted by NMpistolero
Hereā€™s my take, if Iā€™m forced to hunt with an outfitter Iā€™ll usually tip. But everyone knows that outfitters are crooks and whatā€™s wrong with hunting, just corporate type greed making money off of wildlife that we all own, even if I live across the country. I usually book with the cheapest outfitter I can find because he doesnā€™t over pay his guides. I make it known upfront that I believe all guides are lazy crooks and Iā€™m getting robbed but I expect a world class hunt. I never tip more than 5% than the hunt price . And thatā€™s where it starts and goes down from there, same as at a restaurant. I mean come on, how hard is it to fill my water and bring my food or find a 400ā€ bull or 200ā€ deer? And letā€™s face it, we all can out hike, out glass and overallout hunt these phonies. Like I said it starts there and goes down. I expect quite a bit out of my guide. Hereā€™s just some of my criteria
Pickup older than 3 years old-deduction
Not a full size pickup with the biggest cab-deduction
Full time guide- deduction. He should do it for the love of the game not money and should question his life choices
Part time guide-deduction, his heartā€™s not in it and probably makes enough money at his regular job.
Doesnā€™t have alpha glass-deduction heā€™s an amateur.
If he has the latest Gen of Alpha glass-deduction, again makes too much money.
Mis-matched camo deduction. Two different patterns probably cost me an animal
If he doesnā€™t answer every question immediately about all wildlife related subjects or know the scientific name of every plant-deduction.
If he doesnā€™t carry my water or pack or toilet paper or bags to and from lodge-deduction
If he gets lucky and out walks me-deduction
Iā€™m in it for the experience, the experience of killing a trophy preferably on the first day because a good guide would have been scouting for weeks on his own dime and have a client an animal already picked out. If not-deduction.
If the guide doesnā€™t set me up perfectly, arrange my rest or provide shooting sticks to make my shot as easy as it be-deduction.
If he gets irritated at me questioning all of his plans, stalks, trophy assessment or my sighs of disapproval-BIG deduction! This is my hunt and we should do what and how I want!
I donā€™t always tip money. Sometimes I like to tip Chinese made knives especially if has a custom. I expect swag from the outfitter, caps jackets and other stuff with his logo. I like to tip with caps from my business so I can get free advertising. If thereā€™s a piece of equipment that I brought and used but donā€™t like or it fails I usually give it to the guide. Itā€™s the thought that counts.
Thatā€™s just a small look into how I do it.
YMMV