Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Ray
In reality a brake does not make the gun-blast noisier; what it does is to port lots of the same noise straight to the sides all the way around. The rest of the noise continues forward out the muzzle.

Yea like in reality blowing a trumpet isn't any louder than blowing the same amount of air through a straight tube.

Cut the pseudo-scientific BS, Muzzle brakes aren't just a little noisier they are a heck of a lot noisier.

I have a 475 Ruger that's ported and yes it's loud. So is my 500 S&W. So is every gun that I've ever shot with a muzzle brake. Several of which I've fired with and without the muzzle brakes installed, they were of all a heck of a lot "noisier" with the muzzle brakes installed.

Oh and not only do muzzle brakes suck because they are so stinkin noisy, they suck because they are ugly as heck on a hunting rifle.......................DJ

It seems that I have offend you, but that was not my intention.

What I said is that the noise coming out the brake, all the way around and to the sides, is closer to the shooter's ears, therefore louder to the shooter or to bystanders to the sides of the shooter. But brakes do not increase the amount of noise from the blast. If a barrel of any rifle is shortened, that brings the noise blast from the shot closer to the shooter's ears, regardless of brake or not.

The reason why we think a non-braked rifle is not as loud is because most of the sound is being directed away from the shooter, but it's extremely loud within a few feet in front of the muzzle. A brake is just bringing the same amount of sound closer to you, just like a speaker pointed at you. Turn the speaker around 180 degrees, and the noise seems to be quieter.

Last edited by Ray; 10/20/07.