I bought a revolver new when I was in the service at Ft Lewis WA. It was sold through the post PX, but had it been an off post FFL Holder, I wouldn’t have been able to do so without changing my legal residence from PA to WA. Come to think of it, if I were caught by law enforcement carrying it, I might get in trouble, maybe even lose possession.
Same way now, with my handguns, for me to legally possess even an heirloom, it must be done through an FFL.
They won’t admit to it, but it is in fact a backdoor registration process. The state tracks them, and no doubt the feds as well.
Were I to die, the handguns I own would have to be transferred to Ben through an FFL, even if he were a resident of PA.
Now take note.
In most states, private sales of long guns, rifles, shotguns, even deadly defense rifles with box magazines and evil stuff like a pistol grip and a semi automatic action are able to be legally sold between friends and neighbors, even across state lines.
This is called a private sale of property. Just like selling a TV or a microwave.
The state, and therefore the feds, cannot track these guns.
There’s no such thing as “the gunshow loophole”. That term was made up by politicians who want to limit your right to defend yourself and your family from them.
Keep this in mind when you hear that term.
Anything going through a licensed dealer can be, and most definitely is, being tracked.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden