Good, sound, mechanical principles and basic common sense doesn't discriminate. Whether you're working with a competition rifle or a nice hunting rig, the basics still apply. In fact, when trying to wring out everything a factory-style gun has to give you....these small details may in fact be more important as you've got so little to work with from the beginning.

A good example of this is my 30BR Benchrest rig. It's not a 'glue in' as is the norm. Rather a pillar bedded bolt in using 'Holland' style pillars as referenced above on the McMillan Remington Hunter pattern hunting rig. I machined these for this specific application but the basics remain. The receiver was also fitted with a front recoil lug and the rear action screw hole machined all the way through the tang and threaded. This gave another 3 threads of action screw purchase.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Again, I encourage people to just think about what you're trying to accomplish. Add a little common sense and ask questions if you have any. We never get anywhere by just doing what we've always done...try to understand why things are done in a certain way. Being thin skinned and not learning by what others are having success with guarantees being mired down in mediocrity. Keep learning! cool

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner