Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Y'all that use it know you should be wearing rubber gloves, right?

Not ammonia based, but butyl cellosolve (ethylen glycol monobutyl ether)

https://www.sinclairintl.com/userdocs/MSDS/749-001-053_WIPE-OUT%20ACCELERATOR%20LIQUID%20BORE%20CLEANER,%208%20OZ.%20(01-8530)%20-%2017A_default.pdf

I haven't been wearing gloves since I've been sing wipe out and boretech for most everything. I used to wear them years ago with shooters choice and Barnes cr10 but that was my old routine. Figures that wipe out is bad for you.

What does butyl cellosolve do to you?

Bb

From the MSDS I posted above:

"EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE - SKIN CONTACT: PROLONGED OR REPEATED CONTACT MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS, PROLONGED
EXPOSURE MAY LEAD TO SKIN ULCERATION, MA Y IRRITATE SENSITIVE SKIN"

From another SDS:

"Most important symptoms and effects, both acute and delayed
Toxic in contact with skin. Toxic if inhaled. Causes skin irritation. Harmful if
swallowed. Contact may cause redness, swelling and a painful sensation. Causes
serious eye irritation. Symptoms may include tearing, redness and discomfort. May
cause respiratory irritation. May cause coughing and breathing difficulties. Ingestion
may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Aspiration hazard
- material may cause lung inflammation or damage if it enters lungs through vomiting
or swallowing. Inhaling high concentrations may cause central nervous system
depression, with effects ranging from dizziness and headache to unconsciousness.
Chronic overexposure to 2-butoxyethanol may cause liver, kidney and blood damage,
based on animal data. "

http://www.cometchemical.com/MSDS/Butyl%20CellosolveEN.pdf

Now, those are probably for straight butyl cellosolve? I have no idea what concentration Wipe Out products might be, or if there is any dilution at all.
Odds are (maybe) that your limited exposure cleaning some guns will have no effect on you. Your choice.

I've already had a third of one of my filters (kidney) removed in a rather unpleasant operation and hospital stay. Who know what caused it. Was it a result of the common practice when I was growing up of washing greasy car parts in diesel or gasoline in a tub while using a wire brush and getting it in my skin? Working around other things like hydraulic fluids, acetone, etc?

I wear eye and ear protection while shooting, and running yard equipment now as I like my hearing and eyesight. I wear gloves when changing oil in my vehicles and when cleaning guns now, especially if more than one. But that's just me.

I was just throwing that out there for those that might be interested.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?