Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I burn solely wood as my primary heat source. September to middle of May.

That level of hard cold, unassisted by heating fuel or natural gas, makes this Suburbia, hobby stuff yall talking about, seem like childs-play.

Many others up here in interior Alaska burn solely wood. It like having a second fkn job. Come 20-50 below zero for months, you're married to that stove.

Anyhow, so many horrific house/cabin fires up north here by folks who burn spruce. The sht is so caustic, it eats a stove pipe to a brittle shell in 2 years of continuous use.

When the pockets of pitch errupt into sparks, the pressure draws up the pipe, and the sparks can get through the pipe joints and catch your trusses on fire. My neighbor almost lost his home, two months after he switched to spruce. He ran out of birch.

This is what a pipe looks like after 1 month of spruce. You must sweep the pipe every 3 weeks, just to get safe:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The key to living in the interior is use plenty of insulation... if log house, well yer fugged... use to burn spruce, preferred big rounds as they lasted the longest, need to be dry and need to burn hot once a week to clear the chimney of buildup...

Who do you know that does onsite milling in the interior?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii