Depends on where we are. A little plot of family land in unincorporated St. Clair County just outside Springville, AL is slam covered up with timbers from top to bottom. If I go turning over wood and rocks, I'll see twenty in a day. Also covered up with king snakes. We kill three to five big ones per year that won't stay out of the yard. They aren't aggressive, just in the way and I'm not risking them getting stepped on. The place in Tallahassee, we almost never see any snakes of any kind - 1 time in 5 years two house cats bayed a little eastern diamondback and we've seen a couple of rat snakes. The family place kind of in the swamp in Mobile, AL had a lot of both (and other snakes of every variety) but then the pigs moved in. Very few snakes of any kind now.

I go out of my way not to kill them but relocation does not work (lots of studies on that), if they eyeball the wife in her face, it's over. All the dogs are snake broke right now but again, if they won't boogie when harassed, it's over. Don't want an accidental bite while peeing in the dark.

Reny50 - my dutch shepherd Nyx lets me know when they're around and where the snakes are. If I tell her to hunt them, she parks it where she can see the rock pile or fence line or whatever cover it's in and woofs at me when it pokes it's head out so I can zap it with a pellet gun/shotgun/.17 hmr/etc. Most of them have human like intelligence and end up able to understand english with their handlers for sure (dutchies - not snakes).

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank