Originally Posted by tcp
I have 8-10 lbs of new unopened IMR 4451 that I bought when I could not find H4350 several years ago. I would trade it for H4831sc or H4350 or MRP. I am past the age of experimenting with the latest or best new thing and am happy to stick with what I have already determined works well for me.

I "experimented" considerably with IMR4451 in rifles where I used H4350 for years. Overall I found 4451 worked a little better, in both accuracy and velocity--the last because it's (or was) a double-based powder. In fact just worked up a new-to-me all-around load in my New Ultra Light Arms Model 24 .30-06 a couple years ago, using the 175-grain Barnes LRX and 4451. The first 3-shot group at 100 yards with the max load listed in Hodgdon's data went a little over half an inch--which is how that rifle has shot from the get-go (acquired it in 1996) with several handloads. Plus, velocity was a little over 2800 fps. Hard to beat that!

Luckily, I still have around 7 pounds left in the last 8-pounder purchased, which will last a long time. BUT I won't be able to mention any such excellent 4451 loads in articles....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck