Originally Posted by TRexF16
358WCF,
My two 338-06s are both the standard version, so slightly less volume than your AI. That said, my first look at loading 15.5 in my 338-06 carbine indicates case capacity is not going to be a big issue.
Since it's a faster powder than H4350 (or at least I am assuming it is - am I mistaken?) we would be using lighter charges of RL-15.5 than H4350.
I have plenty of H4350 and can do a comparison for you. I can compare the visual bulk of two identical charges, or set my measure to a fixed volume and compare the weights of two identical volumes. How would you like me to proceed?

Regardless, I will probably load up my next round of 338-06 with RL-15.5 later tonight and can provide pictures similar to those above. My sense is bulkiness will be less of an issue in the 338-06 than the "Nine-Three."

Cheers,
Rex

Rex,

I realize that 15.5 is a bit quicker than H4350. In the 338-06 Imp. I've managed to get 66gr of H4350 seated under a bullet in fully formed 90s era WW '06 brass. Fully formed, it holds 72.6gr of H20 filled to the top after sizing. At 66gr. it's bit crunchy when seating the bullet, but shoots well at excellent speed. No pressure sign at all & case life is long, so... It's way better than initial expectations, but I'm still wondering if a quicker powder will do anything better? Plus there's the H4350 lot to lot & availability problems. The slower lots of H4350 dropped 250fps in the 22-250Imp. & groups turned to schidt. The bigger bore 338 isn't quite as drastic, but it still changes a bit. Leaving no turd unstoned so to speak, I'm curious if 15.5 will solve the ballistic problem. Availability is a whole 'nuther thing. According to my notes RL16 also ran out of case space at 65-66gr at about 100fps less than the 4350 load with mediocre accuracy, so again, a slightly quicker powder may be a winner. If you could set your powder measure for your chosen 15.5 weight, & after you're done loading dump some H4350 at that setting & get a weight that would likely tell all that's needed. A picture of the 2 powders position in the cases at the same weight could also be worth 1000 words if you have the opportunity without too much trouble.

Thanks so much for your trouble-358

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy