Originally Posted by rong
96 is a fantastic run.
And she always seemed classy.

Absolutely! She was a lady that was steadfastly dedicated to her people and her country and I respect her immensely for that. I’ve “evolved” my attitude about the monarchy over the years. The people of England are the ones who get to decide how they structure their nation but ultimately I don’t think the monarchy is necessarily a negative thing. The people seem to love their monarchy and I believe that for them it’s a system that works. It offers stability to the people who have known nothing more than living under a monarchy. It provides entertainment and a nod to their history with the pomp and frills of their royal events and it’s a PROUD reminder of their SHARED history….something we’d be wise to think about, sharing in our common accomplishments rather than focusing on our differences.

I always thought that the monarchy was not only wasteful but that they basically rubbed the faces of the commoners in the massive disparity of wealth by throwing such lavish banquets and balls. Over the years I’ve realized that all first world countries have their various protocols of pomp for state dinners and entertaining world leaders so I don’t know if the British are that much different from us in that respect.

If that’s the way the British want to structure their government that’s fine with me. My ancestors fought the British so that WE could decide how WE wanted to structure our government.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~