The 45 Colt was the first handgun cartridge I reloaded for and the first revolver I've owned. It was a 7.5 inch Bisley. It fired bullets from 200 to 340 grains and various powders to numerous to mention along with the ranges its driver could connect at. Numerous game animals as well.

Since then I've used it in SAA's and clones to 5 shot fire breathers and double actions from the last century to present. Its only failing is in the inability of men to decide what dimensions its requires and what it needs fed via powder or projectile per arm it is housed in. Not too shabby for a 19th century cartridge.

The 45 ACP conversion also has a history, but most prominently as the cartridge that duplicated the 45 Special of the time in an automatic weapon, the 45 S&W Schofield. Another good revolver cartridge but most are at there best with rims.

Throats at .452-.453 and the Ruger groove at .451 will be a good shooter whether shooting CAS plinkers or 300 plus grainers atop healthy doses of H110/296 powder or something similar even with jacketed offerings. Going to .454 or .455 for a cylinder throat diameter if all you shoot is lead is not a handicap.

These days most of my loads are 10 grs CFE Pistol or 13-14 grs. Blue Dot with bullets in the 270-300gr. range in S&W N frames, Colt Double Actions or Rugers. The old Colt has proven longer than any of us has been alive that the bullet does the work in handguns in diameter and frontal area primarily and everything beyond that is for being frivolous,fancy or both.

Enjoy the 45 Colt in all its gloried history.