It will work for those uses as well today as it did 6 decades ago. I've owned more than a couple dozen of them over the years though I am currently down to just two. Some think the guns heavy but I haven't found them to be onerous yet.

A nice feature of the A-5 for trap singles is you can set the friction rings for heavy loads and it will run the gamut from not ejecting the hull at all to ejecting the fired round at your feet depending on the load being used. That keeps squad mates happy as empties aren't bouncing off or around them.

There are those who feel the rear of the receiver distracting or the clacking and pogo stick sound of the action bothersome but I grew up with the A-5 being the Holy Grail of shotguns so I don't notice it. I find the spring noise of an AR-15 to be more of an issue which isn't much.

One thing to remember is to keep the forend cap tight. If it loosens even a little you will crack the forend which may mean a new one. Look over the forend carefully to see if it is cracking and pay accordingly.