Speaking of the VDGIF (i.e. DWR nowadays)...

I drove over to Amelia WMA this past Saturday with my .308 rifle (it's September - the outdoor WMA rifle & skeet ranges are now fully open). I don't want to get into too much detail, as you'll soon read... BUT - the whole place was deserted except for a plain clothed person, examining the range. I was wondering "W"hiskey "T"ango "F"oxtrot, you know? Where is everyone? It's Saturday. These outdoor ranges (Amelia, Chickahominy, CF Phelps, etc...) were always PACKED to capacity! You had to pack a lunch and make a day of it, casually waiting your turn.

...not anymore... shocked

Check my photos that I took! Amelia WMA outdoor range is all shot to hell, vandalized, but thankfully the huge kiosk or whatever pavilion with the 6 or 7 bench rests was still intact. Now... getting serious and as God as my witness, the plain clothed person at the WMA range? Yup... you guessed it... An actual "undercover" DWR Game Warden! He checked my Savage .308 rifle, asked me what I planned on shooting, etc... and we made small talk. Once I revealed that I was retired US Coast Guard, he seemed to relax. I even opened my wallet and showed him my retired military ID card. He kind of personally "opened up" to me about Amelia WMA. It has been going downhill over the last couple of years. COVID.... The "great American ammo shortage & scarcity".... Nobody wanted to waste precious ammo.... etc... etc... But yet, somebody, somewhere, possibly "thugs" who knows... But somebody has been going to Amelia WMA with an AR-15 without any firearm training at all, and shooting the place all to hell! The undercover DWR officer, told me he was there inspecting the place, surveying the damage and trying to catch the idiots who did it.

All those big Rebar metal frames (to hold targets)??? GONE!
All those big 6x6 railroad ties in the ground with holes in them (to mount the rebar frames)??? GONE!
The only target (resurrected and/or repaired by the DWR officer) was setup at 50 yards.
He told me to use it with my 3-9x40 Bushnell scope on "3", and try to sight in as best I could.
He was pi$$ed!!! You could see it... shocked

Long story short -- I darn near shot into the same bullet hole on my target at 50 yards with a bench rest with my Savage .308 LOL.... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]