Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’m not a union guy, by anyones measure. But I also support them in their most recent struggles with bnsf. Talked to some folks awhile back directly impacted and the specifics on it really blew my mind. They’re getting fûcked.

Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
This time, I'm with the railroad unions. Nobody I know on the railroad enjoys their job any more, I never see them anyway because they can't get any time off.

They are currently getting fu.cked hard, no doubt.

But ask them where they were a few years ago when entire new conductor classes couldn't hold a board anywhere, let alone where they signed on and then were furloughed. Old heads couldn't spare a turn or two every half cause it ate into their check. The attitude is/was fu.ck the low man because I got fu.cked when I was low man - cut 'em. Union brotherhood is a beautiful thing.

Guys holding a board now are making money hand over fuc.king fist - unfortunate side affect is they don't have any time to enjoy it.

As far as enjoying the job, nobody on a train crew got into it for love of the game (unless they're foamers).

You know the deal going in. Schedule (lack of) sucks. Hotel sucks. Non existent home life sucks.

Company spends three months trying to hire you and the next 30 years trying to fire you. The money is right and the bennies stack up more than favorably against anyone else this day and age. Thats what you put up with it for.