Was bs'ing with a guy the other day while I was trying to buy his WWII M1 Carbine (Winchester) and we started talking about engagement distances in the various wars.

WWI: Trench warfare might seem to be long distance engagements. Of course a charge and over taking another's trench would mean close range fighting. I know the Americans used some pump shotguns and buckshot to such deadly effect the Germans made formal complaints about it. I have no idea what the average rifle engagement range might be?

WWII: I would guess the European theatre would have longer ranges than fighting in the Pacific?

Korea: Longer ranges? Until the communist made a suicide charge and ended up in the lines of the American forces?

Vietnam: Mostly close ranges?

GWAT: Iraq close, Afghanistan far?

What is "close" range? Inside 100 yards? Medium might be 100 - 250? Anything outside that long range, 250+? I was thinking of our various military rifles in that time frame and their capabilities and the different conditions they were used in and started me thinking about I personally would have wanted in those situations. And, God bless the American serviceman forever for the sacrifice they made and continue to make today.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.