I'm in the process of building a Mauser rifle for my 23 year old son Thread here. I'm about to fit the recoil pad and finish sanding the stock. To that end, I am trying to determine the correct length of pull. I have used both methods I am aware of;
First, we did the 'hold the stock in the crook of the arm and measure from elbow to trigger finger joint'. With that we got a lop of 14.5".
Second, we did the Boyds Stock method of measure back from trigger and mark stock and then shoulder stock and have nose 1" behind the first mark.
Right now I have the stock cut so that when I attach the recoil pad, a 1" decelerator, the total LOP comes to 14.5". He has held that and shouldered it with just the action in, he says it feels good.

My thought is that sounds like a very long LOP. I'm worried it won't be right for some reason. On the other hand, he is about 6'2 and has fairly broad shoulders, and has held it and likes it although he has never had anything other than a factory Rem 700.

Is there anything I'm missing? Another way to fit him that I should try? Does it sound about right to folks here?

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Scott