Hello to the 'fire this evening!

On Sunday, I went to the Black Hills in Northeastern Wyoming to look for ruffed grouse. Not sure what I thought would happen but I did not find any. Normally, I see them in the brush along the road, or while walking a ridge (single birds). I wont be able to get a shot in the timber most likely, so I went to an area that was an old burn. There was oak trees about arm pit high, lots of open space, a little down timber, water in the bottom and I suppose it was about 40-60 acres in size. I walked it all around with the dogs and they didnt pick up any scent at all that got them going. I am an old guy at 53, but it was the first time going to the hills to chase ruffed or blue grouse.

The question I have.... how do I find the right spots to find ruffed and blue grouse in the Black Hills of Wyoming or the Big Horn Mountains? Where to go for sharptail grouse in the prairie? I find them often while hunting deer, but its by accident and in random spots. Any tips for an old newbie at upland grouse?