I agree that percussion is a good place to start, but your budget is also a factor. Many people get their start in muzzleloading with a TC, CVA or Traditions. There is nothing wrong with something like a CVA Bobcat 50 cal, if all you are looking to do is extend your season.

Be warned, muzzleloading is addictive. I started 35+ years ago with a TC New Englander. Had many TC’s and a few CVA’s over the years, and they will serve you well. Until the disease kicks in. Then you start buying custom flintlocks.

Check some local gun stores for used muzzleloaders. Bore condition is key. Make sure you check it with a light. Auctions are also a good place, as is the muzzleloading forum. Any shop that carries muzzleloaders can probably set you up with the necessary equipment, patches and round balls, or conical, powder, powder measure, caps ( hard to find sometimes), cleaning supplies etc.

Then I would connect with someone in your area who has experience. It’s easier to have a coach than to fumble around on your own. Being that you’re in Montana, I’m sure there are black powder shoots near you. Those guys are a wealth of information.