Originally Posted by Earlyagain
As far as I know, Traditions is the lowest quality of rifle made. They work and shoot very well, but the fit and finish require attention before use. Also the rear sight, at least on mine has no means except friction to maintain adjustment.

They certainly aren't the greatest. But for the price, they aren't that bad. Mine worked very well. It was very accurate. 1:48 inch twist held a couple of inches off the bench at 50 yards using Hornady patched round balls and Great Plains bullets. 1:48 was plenty to stabilize the Great Plains.

One thing I liked about the Traditions was the hook/breech barrel. Where all you had to do was knock the wedge out to get the barrel off. It was kinda tight early on and I found I had to loosen the tang screw a bit to get the barrel back on, but it loosened up over time and the feature worked well. Made it a breeze to clean. It also had very decent sights.

It does have that crescent butt plate so shouldering it is different than with a flat butt rifle, so the OP would have to learn that. But it sets in quickly.

Overall for $450 or so, it's hard to beat. I sold mine a few months ago and now I have nothing that is really suitable for patched round balls and I am kinda kicking myself over it.

Here's what mine looked like when it was new:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here you can see the drum wasn't timed to the hammer exactly, but it worked well anyways. Not an uncommon issue.

A used T/C Hawken may be a good option. I live in Virginia and Green Top in Richmond, Va has several used, .50 and .54, for sale. Nice looking guns, too.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/22/22.