Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I'd go with the 44 magnum, which can still be loaded light for plinking/pests but has far more mojo at full throttle.

Not so fast there. The carbines are twisted a bit slow for light loads. Neither my Rossie or Marlin 44 magnum carbines would shoot well enough to hit a five gallon bucket every time at 50 yards with regular working handgun loads like a 270 cast flat nose at 900-1000fps. Why I went to a 45 Long Colt carbine. Shoots Cowboy action loads just fine and the upper end is plenty. Full power loads shot great in both using the same bullets.

I had good accuracy with a R92 in using 255 grain factory duplication loads in 45 Colt and what I'd call OK accuracy from 38 level loads, in 357 cases from another R92 in that caliber. But either of them, with any load, would stay on beer can at 50 yards; and if I missed one I knew it was my fault.

The two worst shooting rifles I ever owned were a Lee–Enfield No 5 Mk I Jungle Carbine and an early 80s 1894 Marlin in 44 Magnum. All I ever shot through them was factory loads. With their respective favorites, the Marlin was minute-of-cantaloupe and the No 5 was minute-of-softball.

I wouldn't keep a pistol that won't stay on a five gallon bucket at 50 yards.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ