My fun range toys in 308 use a Palma chamber to begin with. I prefer Krieger and Brux 4 groove.

155g Sierra Palma
155g Berger vld hunting
169g Sierra match kings
168g tipped match kings
168g Sierra match kings
169g Nosler long range accubond
175g tipped match kings
175g Sierra match kings

a 1-12 twist will stabilize all of the above bullets.

All shoot very, very tiny groups, opening up a single bullet hole.

I prefer less recoil and a good muzzle break, and I like the barrels long(30" on a fun gun) to give all the velocity possible(155's at 3000 fps get you to 1000 yds), and the heavy long barrel reduces muzzle flip. The Max heavy varmint contour and the M24 contour are excellent. Having fun shooting a 308 means heavyish guns and great muzzle breaks. Marine sniper rifles weighed 14.3 lbs, rem 700's with M24 contours, with Sniper fill McMillen stocks.

For hunting white tails and hogs, the 155g Berger vld hunting has treated the family very well out to 460 yds on large hogs.

A light weight 308 is not what I would call a "FUN" rifle range gun, even with a Limbsaver Air Tec recoil pad. My favorite 308 with it's 28" Krieger Max heavy varmint barrel weighs 13.6 lbs with scope, and I prefer piliar bedded laminate stock. I have other Rem 700's with #5 contour, Rem varmint contour, and a sporter contour. All rifles have Gentry muzzle breaks on them.

While many custom SS barrels are burnt out in 1200 rounds or less, the 308 is still going strong at 5000 rounds.

Consider an EC Tuner/Brake for some the best shooting you will ever do in your life!