Joined this forum because of a lot of good info I've seen while lurking. Anyway, I need to buy a new deer rifle.

A little background, I bowhunted for decades, shot a little black powder and rifle a few times at deer. My shoulders are shot and I've lost all my bowhunting land, so it will be rifle from here on out. Shots are typically 50-300 yards. I've shot 30-06, .270, and .243 over the years (my Dad's guns) and an 8mm Mauser that was my grandfathers (which I inherited). The 8mm is pretty much a no-go for accuracy at this point being 80+ years old and 2" groups at 100 yards with any ammo I can run through it. So, I need to buy my FIRST deer rifle. My shoulders really can't take the recoil of a 270/30-06 anymore, so I'm looking for something that will have less recoil but still good terminal ballistics. I've been looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor due to its low recoil. I like the idea that I could use it for target shooting at longer distances as well and not have to quit after 6 shots due to pain. I've thought about the .243 as well, but I've seen too many deer lost over the years due to a lack of a blood trail, which is the main concern I have with the 6.5 CM too.

The two rifles at least in 6.5 CM I'm looking at are the X-Bolt HC with brake and the Tikka T3X Lite with a brake. I would only be using the brake for target shooting most likely anyway due to the noise. One thing I can't seem to get a good answer on is if the X-Bolt HC with the brake (Cabela's) is an 18" or 22" barrel and is the twist 1:7 or 1:8. I get different answers from two stores and Browning. Obviously I'll be handling them or others before deciding.

So if anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Edit: should put a max $$$ at $1300 and would like thread barrel for a brake to target shoot.

Last edited by Blooze; 09/26/22. Reason: Added a few needs.