I know little about ATV's except the ones I have available. I can turn a key, shift, and do basic maintainence (oil changes, etc). I have no interest in the esoteric stuff.....power ratios, suspensions, after-market "upgrades" , etc. If it works, I'm good! smile

2005 350 Honda Rancher, purchased used in 2011, low milage, had the heck used out of it for 7 years in Kotzebue, and since, on the local beaches, Caribou Hills, and hunting 40-mile caribou. Solid machine, and based on this, I'd go with a Honda, fairly new used, or new any model without hesitation. Mine has no power steering. PS is nice! No winch. Foot shift. Starts well, electric or pull. Mostly....

We are "keeping" a 2012? Kawasaki Brute 600 for a friend up north, and have used it on the 40-mile hunt the last 2 years. This one starts stubbornly electrically, especially after being parked awhile, and has no "park". Not sure if it has power steering or not. Has a winch. I like it the least of the 3. Don't know about later machines or models, but I wouldn't buy one based on current knowledge and preferences. Shift lever.

2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700, purchased used after moose season in 2019 from a 16 year old kid in Homer. It had been used pretty hard as a mudder/moose packer, taken care of, tho, fairly low milage, and is a damned nice machine. Power steering, winch (which came with it as add-on, and has come in handy a few times). I power washed about 50# of mud out of the underneaths after getting it, tho the top-sides were cleaned... My wife won't let me drive it much..... frown. Starts very well, electrically- can't recall ever having to pull start it..

I use it around home to move boat/atv trailers around mostly. Shift lever, with "park".

I'd recommend this, or another similar model Yamaha without hesitation, used if fairly new and taken care of, or new.

You would likely be best off buying a newer, used machine because of depreciation, as mentioned. Alaska List, Craig's List, etc . This is the time of year to get one, too, and spring to sell one.

Can-Ams- what little I know of them, appear to be rock-solid machines, but over-priced.

Last edited by las; 09/29/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.