I live east of NO. When my wife & I go to our PCP, which means crossing Orleans Parish, it used to be a quick and easy drive on I-10. However, now we take the long way to get there, which entails taking the Causeway 24 mile bridge over Lake Pontchartrain. This avoids the no-man's land in NO East, where a stray bullet or two is not a surprise (though not an every day event). It's common knowledge that the MS River wants to chart a new course thru Morgan City and away from New Orleans. The Corps of Engineers has thus far prevented this but Mother Nature will win out in the end. Should this happen, the River level at NO will drop drastically, thus making NO a ghost town. I hate to say this but I cannot wait for this to happen. IMO travelling thru NO with a weapon is not merely wise but also necessary. When I was a kid growing up in Metairie, I would go to NO by myself for my Orthodontist appointments via public transport - I was 14 years old. I never had an issue. How things have changed! To give you an idea of the current mentality in NO, the following story was told to me by a person, who was a former employee of a vendor servicing the Superdome: Some years ago a Hurricane was projected to hit NO (though it actually did not and narrowly missed). The Mayor at that time was forced to open the Superdome, as a shelter for the locals. As a result, the Superdome suites were broken into and furniture stolen. A couple of days later, some of the "locals" returned to the Superdome and wanted to swap the stolen furniture because it did match what they had. There's no negotiating with that kind of mind-set. Apparently, they are now voting these types of people into public office.

Last edited by JJF; 09/30/22. Reason: To clarify.