Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Thanks for the reply. I’ll just have to do my own testing if the opportunity presents itself.

Why don't you learn how pre-test bullets in different kinds of media, rather than testing them on big game "if the opportunity presents itself"?

There are various things at work here--including the fact that cup-and-core bullets tend to expand and penetrate more reliably at moderate muzzle velocities--which has been widely know for a LONG time.

I have published a bunch of articles, and book chapters, on the various aspects of this subject. You might want to read some of them, rather than expect field results for every bullet from every cartridge on every kind of big game.

Maybe I'm little testy tonight, but there it is....

Thats fine if you're a little testy, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
I guess my original question about elk sized game with the 160 Gameking was more making conversation than anything. I have used a lot of gamekings out of different cartridges over the years, they are one of my favorite bullets. I am quite certain the 160 will work on the cow elk and small bulls I usually harvest. I think I was just looking for somebody else to tell me what I already knew.
And yes, I am aware of the fact that cup and core bullets work great at moderate velocity. It's been my experience that medium size bullets at medium velocities kill game well.

I haven't purchased any of your books, but I did get a copy of Handloader 320 with your article on modern 7x57. I enjoyed the read.