I got my 10 year old in close on a good 4x4 this morning and he missed it twice. I feel pretty bad and he's disappointed. I spent too much time building him rifles and working up loads and didn't get him out shooting enough. He told me when we saw the buck he wanted my lightweight ar which I had in the truck and I made him use the grendel which hes been a bit shy off.

It was a pressured shot because the bucks were moving and then would stop for a few seconds he'd about get lined up and then they'd move again. I guess I didn't just wanting him going rapid fire with ar I wanted him to aim but I should have let him use what he was confident with.

I had a 20 round mag of 60g partitions in the ar and should have just let him use it. At age 10 it was tough to get him in position and try and get him some sort of rest it the field for steady shooting. It was a really good buck and was under 100. We're going to try again in the morning. We saw about 11 bucks today. Two good 4x4 bucks, a decent 3x4 or 4x4 some 3x3s and a few 2x2s.

He hasn't shot much with a scope and any hunting rifle is just a lot harder to hold up then his savage rascal he's most used to shooting. Even the mini grendel in the mdt lss with the magpul and scope and Harris bipod is a bit heavy for him. And he had issues finding them in the scope even though I had it turned down to 3 x.

We met an out of stater on the hunt and he came up to us this evening and said he had 4 bucks spotted and invited us to go shoot one with him. We went and found the bucks with him and I ranged them at 280 and tried to get my kid to lay down in the rocks and get on the bipod. I dialed a Mil on his grendel for elevation. He couldn't get situated and there was another good 4x4 in this group that the out of stater had just got his rifle locked into some big tripod he had and asked me to give him a range. I told him 280 and then told him I think he needed to just take his shot because they were looking like the were about to bolt and I said my boy wasn't going to get situated on time.

The guy took the 280 yard shot with is christensen Ridgeline 28 nosler from his trip pod rest and missed it. The guy was pretty embarrassed but I just told him we really appreciated him letting us in on it and hoped it didn't throw him off. He had flown in from Ohio and rented a fancy newer black yukon. He had never been here before he had just heard somewhere that idaho 54 was a good mule deer area so he put in and drew.

We met him earlier in the day and pointed him towards some areas to glass for bigger bucks. He more than repaid us layer by trying to get us in on the shot. I always enjoy meeting decent people hunting. I always try to help people out and appreciate those that do the same. That poor black yukon was all scratched up but I was amazed the low profile street tires hadn't all been flattened on the sharp rocks. He told that he was planning on some extra charges when he returned the rental.

Bb