Just my humble onion but I consider the J.C. Higgins a much better rifle that the pre 64 Winchester M70. Now you can flame away but that's my opinion from having both types of rifles. The pre 64s have long ago been sold and the M50s are still in the safe.

The only M50 that has ever given me a problem was the .270 I converted to 7x57. I got that one back in the early 1970s, probably 1973. I disliked the cut over the chamber for one thing and every once in a while the rifle would lock up tight and the bolt wouldn't open. I stuck it in the back of the safe and it sat there for years until I used the action for the 7x57. It locked up tight as hell. I'd gotten it as part of a trade and I'm thinking someone shot so hellaciously hot load in that gun causing set back of the locking lug area. It's too nice a rifle to give up on so it's either find a deal on a receiver or strip one from one of my other rifles. It's too bad that brother in law has passed on. I'd love to give him that action back as a sideways suppository.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE