Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I’ve got 3 half Pygmy half dairy we’ve had for a couple months. My wife thought they’d be neat to eat the [bleep] the ponies won’t. I figured I could eat like a Mexican moslem if it didn’t work out.

Problem is the little [bleep] grow on you. I’d have a hard time eating one of them now.

I have one pygmy that’s practically half dog. That lil fugger gets a pass. His mom and sister will bring me more goats, so they get a pass. “Uncle Ho” gets a pass because he’s a runt and wouldn’t even be worth slaughtering. Oreo, I wanted to kill for weeks as he escaped and had me chasing my ass until I just flat gave up and said “let him be coyote shït”, only to be captured by neighbors after 6 weeks on his own, no human assistance. Gotta reward those genetics, so he’s my breeding ram. That leaves Trips, but he’s been like friggin Eeyore since getting banded, and I can’t kill anything that pathetic just for a few pounds of cabrito. So I’m stuck with six goats and probably more for the foreseeable future. There’s a lot of Himalaya berries and star thistle around, never mind the good grazing, and they’re fun to watch just getting up to their antics.

P.S. I’m a rank novice at the livestock thing, but I can tell you that sheep are a lot less picky than goats when it comes to weed removal, so if that’s a good part of the reason for keeping meat/fuzzy lawnmowers, I’d seriously think of that route. Plus they have near zero personality and are so obtuse that you want to kill them. I’d think the market for sheep vs goats has a lot of overlap as well.

Last edited by Scott_Thornley; 10/17/22. Reason: Baaaaaaa