Originally Posted by 99guy
So how is a Lyman 57 or Redfield 70 or Lyman 30 1/2 without a screw in aperture any different from an M1 Garand or M1 carbine sight?

I've shot them all extensively. I can clearly see the outline of the back sight hole on all of them. None of them qualifies as a ghost ring sight by my definition.

You look through the hole and your eye instinctively centers the front sight.

The size of the hole may be different, I but see absolutely no difference in the method or results.

I think we are splitting hairs on the language.

Because the Garand, carbine, et al sights comprise a lot more metal around their apertures than you find on a Lyman or Redfield minus their screw-in apertures. The milsurp sights present much as a commercial sight does with a small outside diameter screw-in aperture in place. I'm sitting here right now with a Garand on my lap and two rifles with Lyman sights and one with a Redfield sight setting beside me, all three sans screw-in apertures. The Garand rear sight is well defined with a distinct sharp thick black circle around the aperture as seen when shooting, the three commercial sights are a blurry quite indistinct whispy halo around the aperture as seen in shooting position, and in fact when I switch from viewing through the picture window out into the sunshine to sighting in the shadows of this room, the "ghost ring" disappears entirely. The Garand sight presents a very usable sight picture in the shadows though, due to the fact it has a much larger mass of metal surrounding the aperture. It confirms what I said earlier regarding my opinion of ghost rings - and note I said my opinion, everyone's eyes are different.

I'll concede "minute of deer roast" accuracy with a receiver sight sans screw-in aperture, but for close range rough-and-tumble hunting, in decent light. For my money though, I'll screw in an aperture and be prepared for all occasions.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 10/20/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty