Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Windfall
[quote=Doc_Holidude]

Stick, Agreed that a BT is a bit soft for a shoulder, but losing a trophy buck to a TSX was all I needed to experience to switch to faster opening BT's.

You didn’t lose a trophy buck to a TSX. You lost a trophy buck to poor shooting.

I went to a deer seminar once and the speaker was extolling the “withers shot”. Since that buck was broadside with just his upper half exposed, I tried that shot. Five drops of blood and two days of looking resulted in my only lost deer ever. Minimal wound channels on previous lung shot deer with a TSX and reading Mule Deer’s posts about TSX’s under .30 caliber sporadic performance has me pretty convinced that my bullet didn’t inflict the damage that using a “softer” bullet would have. Last year’s buck with a similar high in the back NBT dumped him on the spot. I suspect that the TSX morphed into the TTSX for the same reason.

Much as I’d like to wait for a more broadside shot presentation, I’ve been picked off most often with deer quartering toward me and hunting the brush where I do, shooting early before they see or wind a person has been a better plan hence the question on the quartering to shot placement. I appreciate all the input.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory