Originally Posted by Grasshopper
TxHntr,

This is a quote from my post in answer to Shaman in his query on the Win M-770:

I've found that when in doubt, it's best to go to the source. So I looked up my file of old Winchester Catalogs. My 1969 shows the Model 770 with walnut stock and 3-position safety.
The M-670 is shown with two position safety a.l.a. Mauser Mk-X. Also it states that it has a "Walnut finished" American hardwood stock.
By '71 the M-670 is down to two calibers: .243 and .30-06.

I don't have a '72 catalog. My '73 shows the M670 with a 3-position safety and the M-70-A replacing the M-770

Evidently about '72 or '73, they kind of morphed the M-770 and M-670, and dropped the two position safety.

My '75 catalog shows the M-670 equipped with a 4x Weaver scope. The Blue Book of Gun Values states that the M670 was discontinued after '73, but yet my '75 catalogs shows it still.

The Winchester M-670's can be found with both the side safety (ala Mauser) and the preferred M-70 3-position safety. (Depending on year of MFG.) My 1981 Winchester still shows the M-670 and M-70A. I can find no reference to a M-670-A. Apparently, when USRA, took over production of Winchester in 1981, that was the end of the economy grade M-70's.

I do hope this eases your confusion a bit. smile

Grasshopper

That helps an awful lot and thanks for the info.
Having never owned any sort of Winchester i dont know an awful lot about them except that today they are WAY over priced.
I think I am gonna buy that little 670.