Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by valad
First off I am using RBCS dies and I size the brass according to the instructions.
I have been sizing after every shoot but since I am neck sizing I will see if I can go maybe three shooting before I have to resize again (except for the neck sizing with Lee dies).

Here is my question. After the shot I notice the primers were a little flattened but no ejector marks. And I am not doing max when loading. I would say I am about .5g or a little more less than max)
However I am wondering if the resizing is the issue but I will try with a lower amount of powder.

According to Nosler's load their brass states from the bottom of the neck to base is 1.438.
I use the Hornady 'measure cartridge headspace' and my shot .223 brass is about .0002 larger than virgin laupa and Win .223 brass.

Here is what I am wondering...there is a few discussion on this but when I shoot and resize the brass it goes back to whatever my resize die is set up.
Should I be doing a little more? I see people say to resize down .0002 more but how do you know if it should be more?
When I have a already resize brass the bolt when close has very very little resistance. To me that is a crush fit but should there be no resistance at all?

First sentence is what I will focus on. You need to learn to PFL size your brass. I'll show with pictures. Here are some 7mm rem mag casings that will show you what I'm talking about. These have been sized to fit the smallest chambered 7mm rem mag I have. That way my brass works in both rifles I own in this chambering. The chambers are near identical though. Thanks Winchester!! In this picture, you can see how far down the neck the brass is sized:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The shoulder gets bumped down on this sizing process as well. I prefer about a .002-.004" bump. That can be checked with a comparator. I generally do this by feel though, as I've done this enough times that I know what type of resistance you should have on the bolt when you close it on a sized piece of brass. Here's another picture of how far off the shell holder is from the bottom of the die:

Now, if I were to set up the die set as per RCBS instructions, I would be bottoming out the die on the shell holder and oversizing the brass. This is detrimental to brass life and also precision. Also, when I look at your measurements, there is no damn way you are measuring to the exact .0002". That is 2 ten-thousandths. There is no one here telling anyone to bump it down another 2 ten-thousandths. There is also no need to be neck sizing your brass if you are just loading up hunting ammo and not competing in real competition. There are a lot of guys here thinking they need to, but in all reality, they don't. With this reloading schidt, keeping it simple and being of sound mind will go a hell of a long way..

Unless the above pictured die or shell holder have been modified, I cannot believe they are bumping the shoulder at all!

If the OP is bumping the shoulder .002 to .004 inches, I would not be concerned about his sizing procedure, or a slightly flattened primer.

Last edited by MikeS; 10/28/22.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...