Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Cross
I believe that Nathan Foster's opinion was that the 162 SST will hold together a little bit better than the 162 ELDX but that neither one should be used on big bones at high velocities (magnum rifles at close ranges). Makes sense to me.

I think there have been some here prove that the 162 ELDX works just fine, even on big bodied elk. Sorry, but I don't know Nathan Foster. Does he post here? Tell him to post some pics. The ones Pharm posted looked pretty damn good to me. I also have buddies that use the ELDX in factory Hornady precision hunter ammo and they don't have an issue with any deer or elk not succumbing to that bullet when placed in the vitals.

If it hasn’t happened to you or a good buddy it doesn’t exist - well that’s a great philosophy. I thought the same of the Nosler Ballistic Tips until one in 7mm blew up on the ribs of a good 5x5 at 245 yards. The shrapnel in his lungs killed him 500 yards later & he stayed on public land & left a blood trail a blind man could follow in the snow so he was steaks & burger but that was just good luck after that crappy bullet performance.

I switched to Barnes TTSX & now to a 300 Weatherby with Barnes specifically to be as reliable anchoring elk as possible. The deer kills aren’t as spectacular as with a softer more frangible bullet but the elk seem to stay put.