jpb;
Good morning to you my friend, I actually hope you're not up reading this now since if you are, then you sleep like I do sometimes and that's not entirely optimum. Nonetheless when and if you read this I trust you're well rested and healthy.

Thanks for sharing the Gransfors axe factory details with us, that's very cool.

While I've certainly held a couple of them, I want to say I've never actually used one.

With me and axes, it's akin to .22 rifles but worse sir, so someday I'm going to break down, find them all, get some photos and a bit of background on them. There was a chunk of my life - perhaps about half of it actually if I'm being honest, that if while perusing flea markets I happened upon an axe head was made in Canada, USA or Sweden, it just came home with me.

All the rigs - including the commuter cars - had HB or Husqvarna axes in them. I believe there's 4 axes - including one tomahawk - that live in the pickup.

Some ready to have handles installed.

[Linked Image]

The top left one has what's know as a "boy's axe head" so a smaller eye. I've made it up with a fairly long handle and it's used for light limbing work, removing bark from firewood and for picking up blocks off the ground so I don't have to bend over.

Its interesting that at one time I absolutely would have shared ironbender's view that "an axe is an axe", but now having gone with both feet down the rabbit hole, I can say the subtle differences make all the difference in the world.

For instance for splitting Doug Fir, I used to use the two mauls exclusively. Then one day I stumbled across Buckin Billy Ray's channel - he's in Cedar, BC on the Island - and watched him splitting big chunks of Doug Fir with a double bit axe. Since I had 3 - am now down to 2 after sending one to a good home - but I fooled with those two, one Walters and one Sager.

Here's the "funny" thing jpb, there's one side of the Walters that splits big wood way, WAY easier than the other three sides. It's in the cheeks like Buckin claimed.... I believe anyways.

Axes that go along firewood cutting.

[Linked Image]

As far as your contention that a good usable axe should have a cutting edge harder than proverbial woodpecker lips, I'd agree 1000% - but - would add that some folks shouldn't have that because they can wreck a proverbial anvil, you know?

Not meaning to cast aspersions on anyone down here however, since like as not just the fact they're down here is an indicator they're not going to grind the edge into the bedrock.

Based upon your use as well as a few other like Don/huntsman, I'd say if the budget can absorb it, I'd recommend the OP get a GB first.

Then, if he finds he really likes it and uses it, start to hit the flea markets and purveyors of "interesting stuff" and see what's out there that can be re-handled to suit his specific needs.

After all, one always needs another axe..... wink grin

Best to you as we head into winter my friend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"