Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by gremcat
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jesus had something to say about queer clergymen:

Mt 7:22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’
23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

A misapplication of the text but then I suspect you know that. Look at the verses that “bracket” that passage.

Not arguing the merits of openly living in sin as a pastor. Not my place to decide who’s qualified for a given congregation. Sexual immorality is talked about in the sermon on the mount. By that standard all fall short of being qualified.

Unless your arguing there are degrees of sin and all aren’t versions of the original sin to replace God with ourselves. Some denominations believe that.
It's not at all out of context. Jesus was talking about false prophets, those who are assigned to bring God's word to us. In other passages, it says that teachers are held to higher standards than the rest of the flock. I think this is very much in the context. Ministers who are not living as the branches of God's tree are to be pruned and gotten rid of.

Matthew 7:1 for context-
1Judge not, that ye be not judged. 2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?