Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd like to give it a try, too.

Maybe get someone to show me the ropes, give advice on rifle calibers, bullets, etc.

Ed

Ed;
Good afternoon my old friend, I trust that other than needing something new to hunt and be shown how to do it that you're all well.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that our journey back in the day wasn't that unusual in that there was no ether webs and only the occasional magazine article. While I guess calls were "a thing" stateside in some areas, we - a hunting partner and I - were considered at minimum half a bubble off plumb for wanting to do that. I mean everyone else just drove around in their pickup and shot them, so what was our issue? laugh

There might have been snow camo to buy too, but if there was it was beyond our budget in those days of the late '80's as all our "extra" money was going to interest payments on the houses we'd both bought. Remember 15% - 19% interest back when? I know you do my friend. We made our own snow camo and began to learn to speak coyote by much trial and even more error. Frequent error as I recall now Ed...

Anyways in the fullness of time, we decided that .270's and .308 Norma Mags weren't the best coyote rigs because Harry the local trapper didn't like to give us anything for them with the holes which resulted.

Somehow along the way we'd become further ahead on the house payments as buddy got a B78 in .25-06 and being me I put together a .22-250AI on one of the Mauser actions in the safe. By the way, while it did work and still does, I heartily DO NOT recommend anyone build a .22-250AI on a 98 action unless they're looking to learn patience and learn it quickly so to speak. wink

Here's what a really young me looked like with said homemade snow camo and reworked 98 in a much modified Model 70 stock but it's got a Douglas Premium Air Gauge Match barrel on it! From the good folks at IT&D in Ohio no less, back when Canucks could order such subversive items across the medicine line and no one thought we were attempting some sort of coup.

[Linked Image]

Funny too that while we did manage to shoot a bunch of dogs back then we didn't take many photos of them or us dog hunting. Likely film development costs or something like that? Again dinosaur problems I suppose.

There's a young fellow who moved in across the gully a couple years back who I've managed to talk into getting into hunting. He and I went out a couple times last winter calling, which was a first for me for at least a decade and my goodness was it ever fun to get out again.

All the best to you all down south Ed and good luck on your remaining hunts, coyote and otherwise.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 11/16/22. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"