Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have done it this way. The throat on my 9.3 allows for a 3.200 oal. with the 286 Privi, so no long taper on mine and even with a long taper the round nose would contact the rifling.
The Privi 286 is not a short bullet
Actually it is a short bullet, at least as compared to about every other 285 or 286 .366" bullet available. On another thread, Mr. Barsness was making a point about the length variation in 285/286 9.3mm bullets. He wrote:
"I happen to have five different 9.3mm 286-grain bullets on my loading room shelf. Here they are, in order from longest to shortest:

Barnes TSX--1.521"
Woodleigh Weldcore--1.444"
Nosler Solid--1.414"
Nosler Partition--1.373"
Hornady Spire Point--1.313" "

I can add that I also have the Privi, and the Lapua Mega, which appear identical, and both are 1.238". By far the shortest 285/286 9.3 I have used.

Not trying to find fault, just highlighting what I have observed.

Cheers,
Rex

My comment was in regards to land engagement.... of course it's overall length is shorter

Makes perfect sense that you meant that. I don't have a .366 insert for the bullet comparator but can use my chamber as such. Though the 286 Part is .135" longer than the Privi, the max OAL for the two bullets to jam the lands is only .060" different.

Still interested in the make of your rifle and if it's a factory or custom chamber. It seems very unique. Hope to hear from you on that.

Rex