My dad is closing in on 80 and has just now began to discuss his days in nam in detail. He always gave me the abbreviated version of how he went from private to pushing the show because they had ran out of men. He still carries a bullet and some shrapnel and hasn't walked in years without a cane.

When I was 18 I told him that I wanted to join the Marines. That was the only time in my life I remember him completely going crazy on me. He damn near disowned me after nearly laying me out. A couple days later I was ejected from a vehicle and nearly dead which ended my chances of enlisting, he always told me that was god doing me a favor.

I'm not sure if he'll ever tell me everything or if I even want to know. I will say that the old man was never afraid of anything in my life time and I have yet to see him shed a tear.

For those who spoke so kindly, thank you. My dad rarely wants to be recognized, but this is the first time in a long time that he's really been proud of something......and it's certainly something to be proud of.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.