OP, consider the 280 AI with a 180g ELD-M, Impact velocity is considerable...run the numbers, get ready for a shock...unbelievable in fact!

Next, do a search on those using Lapua 30/06 brass in the 280 AI, R#26, CCI 250, then throw in the 180 eld M. If there is a down side to the afore mentioned combo, I have not found it as of yet. I have yet to have a primer pocket open up on the Lapua '06 brass, your gunsmith just has to throat for the 180 M's.

Hard to wrap your head around a .796 BC till you have seen it in action, 280 Rem, 280 AI, and 7 Mags on deer and hogs for me.

The money you save on a re bore, you will spend on cleaning solvents, pass the Brux 5R barrels on the 180g ELD-M. No flies on a Pac Nor super match, nice they can match a contour. Pac Nor and Douglas have the largest number of reamers of anyone on the N. American continent.

Note to file: two friends went to Africa for the 6 plains game with Weatherby Mark 5's in 7 STW. They loaded 162 SST with IMR 7828, MV of 3150. They all took their 6 plains game each with one shot each including Eland and Kudu. PH was very impressed as all animals died in their tracks. On the other hand, their friend that was a taxidermist took his 338 WM with 250g Nosler partitions and they had animals run off, they guessed that it was the horrible trajectory. Shots were to 350 yards with all three gentlemen. The 162 SST is tougher bullet than you would think, and I have shot hogs through both shoulders with this bullet out of a 280 Rem at 2920 fps(IMR 7828, Fed 210, Rem brass).

Never forget that your impact speed/wind drift/drop is a critical choice in your bullet & caliber selection.

Last edited by keith; 11/20/22.