Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I'm 45 and my Leupold LPVO at 24mm objective gives a big FOV and good low light capability. How is this explained with the exit pupil equation?

All eyes process things differently.
The equation does not change. Coatings and all the trimmings that go along with higher quality lens does change things.

I have been using straight tubed 24mm objective scopes for many years. I used popular USA made straight tubed 20mm objectives prior. The first time that I looked through an upper end 24mm, I was hooked.

My European 24mm objectives are pretty dang good. But, the 42mm objectives of equal quality still have some advantage for me. As would the 50mm over the 42mm. Though, I don't think quite as obvious as the 42 vs the 24.

A few years ago, I got a pretty good buy on a Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm. To my eye, this scope gives a very good lower light view for a 24mm objective. I will say the same for the Tract Toric 1-8x24mm.

As others have stated "low light" conditions vary. The time past sunset is not the single qualifying benchmark.
Significant low light difference in open tundra, fields, meadows than in the timber and valleys with timber. And of course the atmospheric conditions can make it worse.

Last edited by ldmay375; 11/21/22.