Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Curious as to the snagging technique(s) employed. Is it just blind snagging?

Totally blind. No such thing as clear water here.

The 3 ways I'm familiar with fishing for them.

1. The poor redneck way: No boat, fish from bank in the spring when they're doing their (fake?) spawning run. Heavy river pole with a 4 ounce weight and a big treble hook. Cast across the river, then jerk pole, reel up slack, jerk pole, reel up slack. Repeat. Will wear you out.

2. The less poor redneck way: From boat, in the spring when they're doing their (fake?) spawning run. Heavy river pole with a 4 ounce weight and a big treble hook. Let out 100' or 150' of line, troll up stream, jerk pole, let current/troll take out slack, repeat. Won't wear you out quite as bad as 1.

3. The sophisticated way: Rig pole up with dipsy diver and troll around the channels they're schooled up in until your treble hook runs into one. This is what the guides do. I've never been on one of these trips, so I can't exactly give the details.

Originally Posted by windridge
How are they smoked? That would seem a good way to use the meat.

Was with the wife at an engineering deparment dinner at Pittsburg State University several years ago. One of the dishes was smoked spoonbill that one of the students had brought. I thought it was pretty good.

Originally Posted by Torqued

Spoiled on crappie and walleye.

Feel free to send some down, I'm only a few miles off of 49.... smile