Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have a new barrel on a 220, 8 twist Shilen. I got tired of 14 twist not shooting anything over 50.
Went to range yesterday and took it to try some 75 Amax. They shot OK but my load was probably not very refined. On a whim I shot 5 bullets that were in the box that I had previously loaded for my other barrel. I was shooting at 200 yards. They printed a 1/2" group. I went home and pulled one apart and they were 40 grain Vmax!!

How's that for an 8 twist! I don't know how close they are to coming apart but they sure shot good a 1500' and 65 f.

Dennis, that 22.250 I brought down to Texas at Ed's place. I've shot 40 grain V Maxes, 35 gr Hornady NTXs ( Lead free) all the way up to 80 grain A Maxes, 80 ELDs. 80 grain Sierra HPMatch, and everything in between out of that barrel, and they pretty much all held up just fine...

But if you want to watch a bullet come apart, especially in the fog, shoot some Hornady SPSX varmint bullets out of your fast twist 22.250.
I did that once, and they came apart so I called Hornady's Tech Line.. they told me the bullet was designed to hold up to 180,000 RPMs
with my velocity ( which was not redlined), and the one in 7 twist, that the barrel was spinning those bullets about 330,000+ RPMs...

Little "over stressed" ya think?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez