I have a Tormek, Ken Onion, paper wheels, lansky and probably close to $500 in stones.

The sharpener needs to fit the steel. A fine example is my German Henckel knives. They're close to if not over 5 years old and have NEVER seen anything but the steel in the block. The edge just needs to be rolled back into place.

A cheap steel needs to have enough meat removed to forma a burr and a steep enough angle to hold the edge. For this, the onion is fast....but it's hungry.

Average carbon steels do REALLY WELL on the paper wheels. The Tormek is an amazing sharpener, but for the price, I feel the paper does a better job......now if you mix 3 blade broadheads into that....

The worksharp guided field sharpener is the very best inexpensive unit I've ever used. I have one in my pack, travel trailer and at work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.