Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by crshelton
Do they still require a 300Mag or better on the King for nilgai?"

That is total BS! Given good bullets, Any thing from a .243 on up will kill them if you can shoot accurately. Like elk, a double lung shot will do it. Tip- do not aim for the hump.

That said, they are a good animal to try out your African rifles on as there will plenty of meat left after your .458 Win Mag destroys enough to make a meal.

I recently shot a small Indian antelope with a 45-90 and all shoulder meat was destroyed. Through the ribs would have been better, but I was shooting left handed and blew the shot.

I don't doubt what you say. I just recall reading somewhere that most ranches, including the King, required a 300 mag minimum for nilgai, and wondered if that is still the case. Thanks,

That's because most Texas outfitters (along with many other outfitters) aren't really rifle people, and don't understand how the bullet makes far more difference than the cartridge.

Have told this story before, but here it is again. About 20 years ago Winchester held a nilgai hunt on the King, to publicize the then-new .270 WSM cartridge. All together between the invited hunters and the "industry" people (there were other sponsors aside from Winchester) there were 15 of us, and we each got to shoot a cow and a bull. When the guides found out we were going to hunt with ".270s" they were alarmed--but the bullets were 140-grain Fail Safes, which penetrate and expand very similar to Barnes TSXs.

By the end of the hunt the guides were saying that "new .270" was one of the best nilgai cartridges ever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck