Originally Posted by jwp475
I use the same scope that I am going to mount on the rifle and hunt with.

I do to, but it's nice to be able to run a "proven" scope on a new rifle. That way, if there happens to be a problem or something looks weird, you know the scope is not the issue. However, with that being said: I have bought a new/used scope and put it on a new/used rifle and everything went well, luckily!!! Recently I bought a used Burris FFII 3-9x40 (American made) with ballistic plex reticle and things went wonky right away. I knew it was the scope because the rifle was rock solid. Sent the scope in with a note, saying I really wanted the American made FFII back, if at all possible. They sent it back quickly, saying they had to put in some shims??? Tested it and it works well. I don't use a different scope to test loads. I'll run what I brung. It wouldn't be on the rifle if it were not good enough to shoot groups and also hunt with. The Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle is a great example of a scope that works very well for both applications, out to a meager 4-500 yards of course.. Prove it, ok:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I know, some of you guys get your jollies off of seeing fur on the ground:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And no, you don't need a 36x scope for developing loads.. See pic above. ^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA